Sunday, April 6, 2008

Why drink whisky? Part One


This is an interesting question. Not because it's a difficult one to answer, but because everyone will have their own reasons for drinking whisky. Some will drink it because they think it will impress their friends or to look good doing it. This has got to be one of the worst reasons for consuming whisky, although it probably constitutes a significant percentage of annual global sales.
If you are reading this blog, chances are that you are interested in whisky for more personal reasons (at least I hope so). Your own enjoyment should take frontstage with a clean conscience here. I'm confident that as you continue drinking whisky and grow to enjoy it more and more, there will be other reasons that will evolve over time. They will creep stealthily onstage while everyone is paying attention to the lead actor, but in the end they will add to the story and keep the play going. When all is said and done however, you just plain have to like drinking the stuff.
My relationship with whisky has been a passionate affair, but (fortunately) lacks the high drama of hollywood romances: No cheating, no big fights or temporary break-ups, just the odd morning of waking up and hoping I didn't finish that expensive bottle when I couldn't properly appreciate it (sigh).
Since we were properly introduced, whisky and I have been close friends and amorous lovers although I fear our relationship is too often a bit one-sided. She has many would-be suitors and has no time for high-maintenance lovers!
I owe my introduction to the joys of single malt scotch to my best friend about 10 years ago in an apartment in London, Ontario, Canada. He had received a bottle of 12-year MacAllan from his brother and wanted to share it with someone. My alcoholic preferences at the time were firmly rooted in craft beers, while previous trysts with hard alcohol in various forms had a nasty habit of ending somewhat unfavourably.
He cracked the bottle and let me smell it first. It was much sweeter than I was expecting, and had an aroma that (at the time) reminded me of wine. We each tried a little bit straight up and I have to say at that point my plan was to put on a brave face and humour my friend while heroically suppressing any obvious displeasure that might call my manhood into question. Instead, I could not believe that something listed at roughly 40% alcohol by volume (abv) could be so smooth. The whisky had a very sweet taste and the texture of melted butter in my mouth. The remarkably pleasant and overt aftertaste lingered long after my friend had put the cap back on the bottle. It was to be the first of many pleasant whisky surprises.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see everything got setup. Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete